Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Am I in school again?


I'm telling ya! I believe between homework, reading, and projects...I feel like I'm right back in school these days. I guess this wild ride will get even better come next year when Morgan is at the age to start these projects and I will have a Kindergarten student! Phew, I'm tired just thinking about it.
Who has a Science Fair project and a Influential Person speech/presentation within 2 weeks of each other? My son Mark does. His project was named "The Ice Test". We literally spent 7 hours watching ice freeze, taking pictures and graphing it all out. It wasn't the most complex, intellectual Science Project ever but seeing how I am not great with Science, I was his helper, it was the best idea and it worked! I am best at being limited to organizing the display board and being creative with ideas...don't let me help draw or create objects because it doesn't end up working out well about 99% of the time. For the visual piece of the project, my idea was to make an igloo...how else are we going to show ice after a week of sitting out at school??? Our 1st attempt was to paper mache an igloo. Let's just chalk that up to an epic fail. When my son said that the igloo sucked and he didn't think anyone would "get" that it was an igloo, we scrapped that idea and moved on. I then had the brilliant idea to build the igloo with play-doh. We had to sneak in while Mason was napping to snag his play-doh and off we went! With a few touches of some great artwork from Mark Sr, it was done to turn in last Friday. We were successful in our attempt at the Science Fair project this year! Mark ended up taking home 3rd place in his category.
I thought we were off the hook with projects until Mark conveniently reminded me that his other project going on. I sighed, silently huffed and puffed, and thought the school was trying to make me a little looney with it all. We bought supplies and off we went. Mark was assigned George W. Bush as his influential person to research, write a speech on, and create a visual to be displayed. After staying up until 9:30 on this last night, visual was completed with several highlights of George's career, quotes, and pictures. Topped off with my cute idea to tape little American Flags to the top. ;) Speech is completed and he is working to memorize. Friday will be the day that he has to dress up like George and give a 1 minute memorized speech to his class. Bring on a suit and a little flour to grey up his hair!
I just laugh and say to myself that there will never be a dull moment in my life. I don't know if I could handle it any other way!
Love and God Bless!
Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment